Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Say it aint so Powe! Say it ain't so!

Today is a dark day for Celtics fans around the world. Leon the Great. Neon Leon. Leon Showtime Powe... Done. In the blink of an eye, Leon goes down- and so do the Celtics chances of repeating.

I thought that Leon and Big Baby Davis could carry the weight to an extent when KG went down. Now, it seems as though there are just too many injuries on our bigs to go on. Now, maybe if the Celtics signed Joe Smith or Drew Gooden instead of Mikki Moore, we'd still be ok... don't get me started.

It's tough that it has come down to this, but it just proves how everything has to go your way to win a championship. It's not easy to win one, and it's even harder to repeat.

You know what though? I'm not devastated. I'm definitely upset, but I mean, the goal was to win a championship when Ainge got The Big Three together. We did that. I'm not saying I want to be one and done for another 20 years, but I dont expect that to happen with this management team. I'm still high off our championship win last year. Bench help was an issue coming into the year. I think a few guys stepped up a lot, but in the end it was the injury bug that got us good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Celts got out of the first round, but I just can't see us taking down Cleveland or L.A. unfortunately.

This does NOT mean that Pierce isn't a superstar. I'm sick of people saying that the Celts had no chance without KG. Sure, it's harder, but Pierce is the most unheralded player in the NBA, and gets no respect outside of Boston.

The big thing now is to get everyone healthy in time for next year. Big Baby and Powe are both free agents. I love Powe, and until recently he was much better than Baby. I think because Baby has mastered the elusive jump shot, he may get the edge over Powe. Also, Powe's injury could not have come at a worse time for his career. He was in line to get some big bucks, and his story is just so amazing.

Last nights game will not be the last you see of Leon Powe. He will be back in the league and stronger than ever. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be with the Celtics now. I'll hold out hope though.

No comments:

Post a Comment