Saturday, February 14, 2009

NBA Saturday Predictions


Ah yes, All-Star Weekend in Phoenix.

Did anybody watch the rookie-sophomore game last night?
The game itself wasn't bad, but it was hard to watch the game in surround sound when it seemed like the entire arena was full of children ages 8-14... ugh. Every three seconds a pre-teen would screen bloody murder at essentially nothing. I thought it would die down and the kids would start napping around the third quarter, but nope. Anyways, it was obvious that the sophomores were going to win, they win every year. Kevin Durant is a beast, the scary thing is hes only a few years older than the kids sitting in the stands.

I actually enjoy NBA Saturday. I'm a big NBA fan, so I'd say that this all-star game is more enjoyable to me than the MLB All-star game. NHL game isn't bad, a lot of scoring anyways. Pro Bowl is a complete joke.

Now onto the events for the night.
Haier Shooting Stars:
Basically this event takes three players, past and present, from a given team. They are to take a combined six shots from various spots on the court, ranging from 10ft to half court.
Last year it was San Antonio that took it home. The contestants this year:
San Antonio: Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Becky Hammon
Detroit: Aaron Afflalo, Bill Lambeer, Katie Smith
L.A. Lakers: Derek Fisher, Michael Cooper, Lisa Leslie
Phoenix: Leandro Barbosa, Dan Majerle, Tangela Smith

Prediction: San Antonio Spurs. They won last year and I see no reason why they won't win again. Duncan is king of the 15ft banker, and we've seen him hit the three. Robinson will hit the 10ft, and that chick Hammon is a pure shooter and won't have a problem with the 3pt. Second place will go to Phoenix, followed by L.A., and finally Detroit. Of course, the key to this game is the halfcourt shot in the end, so anything can happen.

NBA Skills Challenge:
An obstacle course that involves layups, dribbling, bounce and chest passes, and shots.
The Contestants:
Devin Harris
Tony Parker
Derek Rose
Mo Williams

Prediction: This is tough because every player is stronger at certain things. I think I'm going to go with Devin Harris here. He's lightning fast and has a nice shot. Passing will be iffy but none of these guys are much better at passing than the other. Mo Williams is replacing Jameer Nelson who obviously can't play.

3-Point Shootout:
I will not explain what this is.
Contestants:
Mike Bibby
Daequan Cook
Danny Granger
Jason Kapono
Rashard Lewis
Roger Mason Jr.

Prediction: Jason Kapono. The dude is lights out from beyond the arc. He's going for his third consecutive championship and I see no reason why he won't get it. He is in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the best three point shooter in the game. I will say that if Ray Allen was in this competition he would put up a fight. I don't understand why he's not in it. Talk about a pretty shot. I think Cook and Mason Jr. are sleeper picks. They round out the top three. Mike Bibby will absolutely suck, I'm predicting him to finish last.

NBA Dunk Contest.
In this competition, players are selected to perform breathtaking dun... again, not explaining.
Contestants:
Dwight Howard
Nate Robinson
J.R. Smith
Rudy Fernandez
Prediction: Eeeeeeeee I want to go with Nate Robinson here. You've got the 7'5 Dwight Howard going against the 5'7 Nate Robinson. How can I not take Robinson here? Listen, Dwight Howard's Superman "dunk" would have been amazing, had he actually dunked it. I liked his creativity there though. The thing is, Robinson is tiny, and can get UP. If he can pull something nice off tonight he should get it. I mean it has to be ten times harder for him to dunk than it is for Howardm, right? J.R. Smith is a punk, I don't know him personally but I can tell. He won't win because honestly I dont think anyone likes him. Rudy Fernandez? Weird. Russel Westbrook should have been voted in over him.
P.S. I didn't forget the H.O.R.S.E. competition, I just think it is going to be an epic failure. Think about a game of horse for a second, the percentage of the shots you actually make that are cool are like 4%. Are we supposed to sit there and watch three bball players screw around and ultimately fail at the majority of their shots. Disaster. Prediction: We all lose.
--JT--

No comments:

Post a Comment