Friday, January 30, 2009

Greedy Varitek signs for cheap contract

Well, well, well Mr. Varitek. Does the saying, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" ring a bell? You declined an $11 million offer for some reason nobody will ever understand. By doing so, you screwed yourself over royally and by doing so helped out the good ole Sox of Red.

First of all, you should never have gotten nearly close to $11 million per year. Justice is served. You're obviously a terrible business man if you didn't jump all over that deal. Did you see your numbers last year. Christ, I'm starting to think $5 million is too much!

I'm glad we have a catcher, and one for cheap. But to be honest, the idea of getting Taylor Teagarden or Jared Saltalamachia makes my mouth water. I'll take Varitek for one more year at $5 million and then the Sox will decline his second year when he sucks at hitting as much as he did last year. Then, we will trade for a big name catcher most likely.

Great guy to call pitches (so they say), terrible hitter, terrible at throwing out baserunners. He's only getting older and slower. Can we make Youk or Pedroia our captain? Beckett? Lester? Someone maybe who doesnt reject loads of money (in a recession mind you) and then angirly settle for a cheap contract? That my friends, is not a leader.

Varitek is starting to really piss me off. Sure he's been here for two World Series championships, and for that I'll always be thankful. But this offseason with him speaks volumes about who he is now on the field and off the field. Just another greedy washed up player. Prove me wrong Varitek, prove me wrong.

--JT--

1 comment: