Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Papelbon signs for $6.25 mil


ESPN reports that Jonathan Papelbon and the Red Sox avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year $6.25 million contract. To put that in perspective, Bobby Jenks just signed one year deal for somewhere around $5.5 mil. I'd say the Sox should be happy with this signing.

Unlike the Yankees, we have players on our team ALREADY, that we want to REMAIN on our team. We don't go out and break the bank for fat overrated pitchers or lame cleanup hitters (Say what you want about Teixeira, the guy is a tool).

Re-sign Pedroia? Check.

Re-sign Youkilis? Check.

Re-sign Papelbon? Check.

Don't re-sign Varitek? Check.

I've said it before, I wanted a starting pitcher and a catcher. We didn't get Lowe which sucked, but I'm willing to give Penny and Smoltz a chance. Who knows, maybe Bucholz will live up to the hype as well. It's not looking like we're getting a stud catcher anytime soon, but honestly it's not a big deal. If the dude can catch the ball and throw the occasional runner out, he's good enough for me. Varitek had a great stretch and I thank him for his years here, but unless he's willing to a) sign for cheap, and b) split time with Bard, I'm fine with him leaving.

I will also say this: Jonathan Papelbon will go to the highest bidder. The Sox got away with a one year deal from him this year, but the dude is young and he's out to make money. If the Sox will pay him enough, then he'll stay. If not, he's gone. He knows he deserves to be the highest paid closer and so does everyone else. I'd be very very surprised if Papelbon signed a long term deal with the Sox, as I'm sure he wants to test the free agent market.

I love Papelbon, but he's not a Pedroia or Youkilis. Pedroia and Youk would take a hometown discount to stay here, Papelbon, I'm not so sure. The truth is nobody knows what Papelbon is thinking. The guy is borderline crazy. He's the Kevin Garnett of MLB. I think he blacks out when he's out on the diamond and just lets instinct take over. Legend has it Papelbon made Jack Bauer cry...

Regardless, this Sox team is still looking strong going into next year. There's no doubt the AL East will be the strongest division in the league and one team will definitely get screwed out of the playoffs. Here's to hoping it's the Yanks.

--JT--

No comments:

Post a Comment